Saturday, April 30, 2011

French Breakfast Puffs




"My mother had a great deal of trouble with me, but I think she enjoyed it."

-Mark Twain





These muffins remind me of my mother. She used to make them for us on some special occasion, or weekend. Hard to remember the frequency. They have got to be one of my all time favorite things to eat for breakfast. They are sweet and buttery, light and fluffy, with flavors of cinnamon and freshly ground nutmeg. Just heavenly.

They are incredibly easy to throw together. I always have the ingredients too. So when I get a craving there is little stopping me from satisfying it. Fortunately or unfortunately.


I've seen them called, "donut muffins." Makes sense. I've always known them as French breakfast puffs. I'm sure because that was the name of the recipe mom used. Not sure where she got it. Whatever you call them, if you have never made these or eaten them, you really should. For using such simple ingredients, and being so easy to make, they are absolutely spectacular. Of course butter, cinnamon and sugar on the outside of a shoe would taste good, but these morsels are so light and fluffy on the inside, they are ethereal.

I have 3 sisters. I believe we all love them, and I think we all make them. I know my older sister does. She made me a cookbook with all of my mothers recipes in them, including this one. Next to the recipe she says, "The people at my work call these, Balls of Sin."

Balls of sin indeed.


I think these are appropriate for the upcoming mothers day. Mom would love you if you made her these Mothers day morning. Also they would be great for kids to make for their mom. If only children were reading this, if they were, you moms out there would be in for a treat. They are easy enough for children to make, and fun, with all of the rolling around in butter and sugar.



a rainbow we saw yesterday

the sky was so gorgeous yesterday I had to capture it






French Breakfast Puffs

This recipe makes about 16 large muffins. (I filled the cups 3/4 of the way full.) If you fill the cups 1/2 way to make a slightly smaller muffin, you should get 22-24 muffins.

Ingredients for muffins

2/3 cup (140 g.) soft butter
1 cup (204 g.) sugar
2 eggs
3 cups (443 g.) all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
1 cup (250 ml) milk

For topping

2/3 cup (140 g.) butter, melted
1 cup (204 g.) sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, 180 degrees Celsius, Gas Mark 4.

Grease 16 (if making them large, or 24 if making them small) muffin cups.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, cream together the butter, sugar and eggs. In another bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Stir in half the dry ingredients with the butter mixture, then stir in half of the milk, then mix. Add the rest of the dry ingredients, then the rest of the milk. Blend until just combined.

Divide up batter amongst muffin cups. I filled them 3/4 of the way full and got 16., If you fill them at about half you will get more, about 24.

Bake in preheated oven for 20-22 minutes. Or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of one of the muffins comes out clean.

While muffins are baking, mix together the cinnamon and sugar for the topping.

When muffins are done, melt the butter and immediately dunk the muffins, one at a time, into the melted butter. Make sure you cover it all, top, bottom and sides. Then dip it into the cinnamon sugar mixture, again, making sure you cover the whole thing with cinnamon and sugar.

They are best eaten right away.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

This recipe sounds yummy! I'll have to try it soon!

Thank you so much for converting the cups in grams, btw!

Helen said...

What gorgeous pictures! These muffins sound incredibly delicious, I must try them.

Alfiya said...

This is a beautiful posting, I love the way you write it's very from the heart and the pictures are always so wonderful.

The Alchemist said...

Annonymous- your're welcome. :)

Helen- Thank you!

Alfiya- Thank you so much, that means alot.

Anonymous said...

What a great recipe...I am happy to be your newest follower...Please stop by for book club if you're interested--connie, www.measuredbytheheart.com

The Alchemist said...

Connie- Welcome! And thank you, I'll check out the book club.

Lisa said...

My family and I are crazy about these muffins. I've even made a pumpkin version of them. Yours look truly lovely and I bet they were gone in a flash. Thanks for linking these up to Sweets for a Saturday.

Lisa said...

They sound fabulous.
Lisa http://theenchantedoven.blogspot.com/

Kathryn said...

Thanks so much for linking your delicious French Breakfast Puffs up at Muffin and Cupcake Monday! Have a great week and hope to see you again soon!

Alida Sharp said...

mmm...I can almost smell them baking!! Gotta give these puffs a try!

bj said...

Ummm, we love these, too. I made some last winter from the Pioneer Woman's recipe..they were delicious. These look about the same..Plenty good.
Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Just made these, they are so sweet and delicious! Thanks for the recipe.