Sunday, April 17, 2011

Fruity Spring Cereal Squares



"And Spring arose on the garden fair,
Like the Spirit of Love felt everywhere;
And each flower and herb on Earth's dark breast
rose from the dreams of its wintry rest."

Percy Bysshe Shelley





I hadn't thought of Fruity Pebbles since I was like, 5 years old. Then one day a few weeks ago, I needed an MRI. I needed IV sedation, I'm claustrophobic, you see. One of the drugs they give you for that is an amnesiac. After the procedure, my husband was driving me home, and I saw a bakery that I love called, Corina in Tacoma, WA. Of course I said, "stop!" I can't miss visiting a great bakery when I'm that close to one, drugged or not.

I went inside, and there they were. These cereal squares made of fruity pebbles, rice krispies and jelly beans. I ordered one. I also ordered something else, something more proper, cake? Perhaps? I was on drugs, amnesia drugs, I shouldn't have even remembered these squares. But I couldn't forget them, they laid on my mind. That's how much of an impact they had on me. Silly, I know. I knew I needed to recreate them. So here we are.


Like I mentioned, I hadn't had Fruity Pebbles in a very long time. Turns out I love them. I also really enjoy rice krispy treats, so yeah these rock. They would be great for an Easter gathering. I think children would adore them. How could they not? Candy, sweet cereal, marshmallows, what's there not to love?


Beware, these are quite sweet. But oh so heavenly.



House of Lucien is where I sell vintage china, glassware and collectibles, and be sure to visit 
Coco's Kitchen for vintage cookbooks, vintage Pyrex, kitchen items and more! 






Never miss a post! Follow The Alchemist on Facebook! Or Pinterest







Fruity Spring Cereal Squares

Ingredients

1- 1 lb bag (454 g.) of mini marshmallows
6 cups (200 g.)  fruity pebbles cereal
2 cups (80 g.) rice krispies
1/3 cup (75 g.) butter
2 cups (380 g.) jelly beans

Directions

Grease a 9x13 pan, then place parchment paper in it, hanging the edges off the sides to create a sling. Then grease the paper.

Place the butter in a large pot and melt it on medium heat. When butter is melted, add the marshmallows. Stir them into the butter, melting them as you go.

Add the cereals and the jelly beans to a large bowl and stir it all together. This will help the jelly beans distribute evenly. When the marshmallow mixture is all melted, remove from heat, and add the cereal/jelly bean mixture. Mix it all together. It will be sticky. Duh. I don't think I needed to tell you that.

Using a greased spatula, or greased hands, pack mixture into your prepared pan.

Refrigerate until cold, then cut into squares.

10 comments:

Christy said...

these look so sinfully delicious! I think my kids would go nuts for them. Thanks!

Amanda said...

How fun! I love fruity pebbles too, I might have to try these.

Amanda- Eating in Winnipeg said...

oh that's so fun! i think i would be on sugar over load after one but that wouldn't stop me from wanting more!!

wispsofthought said...

Definitely making these! They're too adorable not to.

Just a thought: have you tried dipping the ends in chocolate? Think how pretty they'd look dipped in colored white chocolate... and delicious too!

The Alchemist said...

Christy-you're welcome, I hope they do like them!

Amanda- Aren't they yummy? I hope you like them!


Eating in Winnipeg- my sentiments exactly! Full of sugar, but sometimes I love that.

wispsofthought-I haven't done that but it sounds like a fantastic idea!

courtney rebecca said...

These were fantastic! I made them for coworkers and I had requests for the recipe. I love how bright and colorful they are. Perfect for Spring! Thanks for sharing!

The Alchemist said...

courtney rebecca- I'm so glad you liked them! Thanks for letting me know how they turned out!

Jenn said...

I love to make crispy squares with half rice krispies and half fruity pebbles. I have never thought of adding jelly beans though.

cupcakegirl said...

I love the colurs in these so pretty we dont get fruity pbbles in the uk :(

Donna said...

Lovely snacks! Healthy and great looking. My kids will love them. They will sure impress their classmates with this "rainbow shacks"! :)